CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1111871
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1991
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111871 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 08:09:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Martindale
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 43609 19148

Details

NY 41 W, 10/130

MARTINDALE, Church of St Peter

II

Church. 1880-82. By J B Cory. Slate rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel with south vestry. Coped gables; lancet windows. 3-bay nave has later deep weathered buttresses; south side has paired lancets, but eastern bay has single lancet; north side corresponds, with gabled porch to west, entrance of one order and inner chamfered arch, quatrefoil above has letters: "AoX" and date: 1897. West end has lancets flanking buttresses and gabled bell cote with louvred trefoil-headed opening. Chancel has gabled vestry with 2-light window and rounded under relieving arch; lean-to canopy over west entrance. 3 stepped lancets and basement entrance to east; lancet to south; lancet and triple lancets to north.

INTERIOR: roofs have deep arch-braced collars; windows have segmental-pointed relieving arches. Plain round font has dog-tooth moulding; 3 coronae. Double-chamfered chancel arch dies into jambs. Traceried pulpit, reading desk, stalls, altar rail, east panelling with reredos under projecting cornice with creating. Recess to south has C17 style cupboard presented 1954. Chancel east window and lancet to north have late C19 decorative glass; other windows display notable collection of stained glass by Jane Gray, 1970s.

Listing NGR: NY4360919148

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
74531
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09107/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].