HALLINGBURY MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111991

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: HALLINGBURY MILL, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALLINGBURY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:45:24.

Location

Statutory Address: HALLINGBURY MILL, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Little Hallingbury

National Grid Reference: TL 49576 16922

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL41NE LITTLE HALLINGBURY MILL LANE

4/92 Hallingbury Mill

II*

A fully restored Watermill built 1874 with the rebuilt granary standing on the site of the mill demolished in 1885. 3 storeys and loft. The ground floor is brick built with arched window and door openings. Stone floor, Binn floor and Loft are timber framed and clad with vertical weatherboarding the exception of right return wall which is hung with grey slate tiles. Said to be the only known surviving vertical weatherboarded building of its kind in the South East. Front and Rear lucombs with ornamental iron brackets. Red pan tile roofs to Mill and rebuilt granary. 4 paned windows throughout the building. All the main timber structure is original and the crossbeams tenon into the main uprights. Main beams 12" x 9" x 22' long are tied in with smith made iron ties and dogs. Much of the original machinery has been retained including Water Wheel, 7' breadth 16' diameter with 48 floats of low breast type, also Pit Wheel, Trough, Spier Wheel, Crown Wheel and Stone nuts. 4 pair of Stone Wheels were originally installed, only one pair now remains complete. The mill can produce small quantities of wholemeal flour since its restoration. There are 2 old machines mounted for demonstration in the building, one is a warehouse separator and the other a brush machine.

Listing NGR: TL4957616922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120539

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing