CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112060.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 11:49:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tendring (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 05391 29550
ARDLEIGH THE STREET
TM 02 NE (east side)
6/58 Church of St. Mary 17.11.66 GV II*
Parish church. C14 west bay of Nave. C15 West Tower and South Porch. Circa 1881-5 Chancel, Chapels, Nave and Aisles by Butterfield. Flint, rubble, septaria, Roman brick, puddingstone. Dressings of brick and limestone. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel, east wall, angle buttresses, plinth follows through north and south chapels. Band, raised under window and chapel windows. East window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head and label. Stone cross to gable apex. North and south chapels, buttressed at angles, stone parapet verge. 2 centre arched single light windows to walls. South chapel east window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head and label, 2 south wall windows of 2 trefoiled ogees, quatrefoils over, under segmental heads. Moulded stone parapet. North chapel trefoiled 2 light windows under square heads to east and north walls, north wall red brick dressed 2 centred arch doorway, vertically boarded door. Nave, moulded cornice, clerestorey of 4 lights to north and south walls of 2 trefoiled ogees, 2 centred arches and labels, bands at impost height. C14 western windows to north and south walls of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred heads, moulded labels and head stops. North vestry, buttress at angle', plinth, window of 2 trefoiled ogees, quatrefoil over, segmental head. Stone parapet. North and south aisles, moulded stone parapet, 3 windows with buttresses between,. band below windows, these of 3 trefoiled ogee lights,quatrefoils over, 4 centred heads. C15 south porch. Crenellated with moulded plinth, both. with flint flushwork panels. Stone panels with traceried heads to each stage of the diagonal buttresses, heads with crenellated capitals to shafts which support seated animals, central cross on crenellated stem. Gargoyles to east and west wall parapet bands, these walls each have a window of 3 cinquefoil lights, crenellated tracery in segmental pointed heads and moulded labels. Front wall of 2 stages, covered with flint flushwork. The name Maria in black letters is at the top of the lower stage and at the base of the upper stage is a row of stone chalices and hosts, below them an ashlar band inscribed Orate p Animabos Johis Hute At Y Wode Et Alicie Uxoris Ejus Johis Hute Willi Hute. Outer archway of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous, the inner resting on attached. shafts with moulded capitals and. bases. Square head with double moulded labels, crowned lion stops on foliated brackets. Spandrels with carved figures of St. George and the Dragon. Above the arch are 3 niches with buttressed jambs and elaborate, traceried and crocketted canopies, pedestals with half angels and clouds, figures of ?St. George, Madonna and ?Bishop holding a church. Moulded and braced principles to roof of 2 bays, which form 4 centred arches, moulded ridge and wall plates. Stone side seats. Holy water stoup to east of south doorway, moulded jambs, cinquefoiled head, bowl eroded, probably C15. Reset C15 south doorway, moulded 2 centred arch, moulded and shafted jambs, one with figures and foliage, square head over, Adam and Eve carved figures to spandrels. C15 South door of 2 folds, each of 3 panels with traceried heads and moulded bars, pierced scutcheon plates. C15 rocketed and finialed niche above doorway, figure of ?St. George and the Dragon. Monument on south wall, wooden marbled tablet with side pilasters and broken pediment to Barbara wife of Henry Lufkin 1706 and Henry Lufkin 1721. C15 West Tower of 3 stages. Moulded plinth with flint. flushwork panels. Buttresses to south east, south west and north west angles, stair turret to north east. Bands below windows. C19 brick and flint crow stepped parapet with corner and central finials. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights. 2 centred heads, moulded labels. Second stage, single cinquefoiled lights to each face, brick outer arches, clock faces to north and south walls. Western window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, 2 centred head and moulded label. West doorway, moulded 2 centred arch under a square head label with head stops. Double vertically boarded doors. Interior. Chancel. C19 paintings throughout, some by Rev. E. Geldart of Little Braxted. Barrel vaulted and ribbed roof of 2 bays, central arched bracing supported by wall posts on corbels. Coloured tiled floor. Enriched panelled arches to reredos and side panels, mosaics of the Evangelists above side panels. Piscina, marble cill and upper shelf, panelled base, trefoiled ogee arch, 2 centred label over. C19 stained glass to east and south windows. Panelled wood side chairs. Cast iron altar rails. Caernarvon head to north doorway. Chamfered 2 centred arch, angled jamb shafts to north organ chamber. South wall with a small anda larger chamfered 2 centred archway leading into 2 bay south chapel. Chamfered 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capitals and bases to attached jamb shafts, label over. Partly restored C15 base of screen, each side of 2 bays with moulded rails and buttresses. Panels with septfoil ogee heads and tracery, spandrels carved with foliage, gargoyles, dragons etc. East wall of south chapel, wall memorial to William and Catherine Lugar 1778 and 1787, C15 re-sited niche in east wall, moulded and buttressed jambs, defaced vaulted canopy, much worn, now with C20 metal statue of Virgin and Child. C20 metal statue of St. Francis on a stone cill to south wall. C19 stained glass to east and south east windows. Chamfered 2 centred arch leading into south aisle. Nave. C19/C20 brass eagle lectern. C19/C20 octagonal wooden pulpit, moulded and pierced panels, sounding board over. Roof of 7 cants, alternate trusses braced from flat wall posts. North and south arcades of 3 bays, chamfered 2 centred arches, moulded capitals and bases to octagonal columns. 3 stained glass windows to aisles, the rest of diamond leaded coloured glass. Coloured tile and wood floors. Large memorial plaque to north aisle wall to Elizabeth wife of Lawrence Jackson, daughter of Humphrey Sydenham 1769 and Lawrence Jackson 1772. 3 C19 memorials to Henry, Christian and Frederick Bishop. C19 wall brasses to John Bishop and Amy Lugar. C19 stone octagonal font supported by octagonal central shaft and marble circular angle shafts with moulded capitals and bases, octagonal base. Painting of Christ Blessing the Children. ?Aert Pieters 1550-1612. West tower, 2 centred arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous the inner resting on restored semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chamfered segmental head to stair turret doorway. Said to be 8 bells, 2 by John Darbie 1676 and 1675, one by Charles Newman 1689 and one by ?Robert Burford, early C15, inscribed Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Maria Vocata." RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM0539129550
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing