PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112127

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 23:22:26.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

National Grid Reference: TM 18011 24646

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE CHURCH LANE TM 12 SE 5/7 Parish Church of St. Leonard

GV II

Parish church. C14 origin, mainly rebuilt c.1854 by C. Hakewill, retaining some features of the earlier building. Original part of plastered rubble, remainder of exposed uncoursed rubble, with limestone dressings, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Chancel partly C14, Nave, N aisle, N vestry, S porch and W bellcote C19. The E buttresses of the Chancel are original, and in the S wall is an original doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. In the Chancel is a piscina with moulded jambs, cinquefoiled head and sexfoiled drain, probably C15. Over the chancel-arch is a stone carved with the monogram IRS. The communion rail is early C18, with moulded rail and twisted balusters. Floor-slabs reported by RCHM (1) to Mrs. R.E. Rathbone, 1689, and (2) to Rev. James Rathbone, early C18, concealed by fitted carpet. In the S porch are 2 moulded wallplates, re-used in the C19 structure, and a C15 indent of a figure and inscription. There are 2 bells, the second inscribed 'John Darbie made me 1684' (date indistinct from a distance).

Listing NGR: TM1801124646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120251

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing