BARN AND ATTACHED COMPLEX OF BUILDINGS AT OAK FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112131

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: BARN AND ATTACHED COMPLEX OF BUILDINGS AT OAK FARM, WIX ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND ATTACHED COMPLEX OF BUILDINGS AT OAK FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:12:25.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN AND ATTACHED COMPLEX OF BUILDINGS AT OAK FARM, WIX ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

National Grid Reference: TM 17640 25551

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE WIX ROAD TM 12 NE (south-west side) 3/18 Barn and attached complex of buildings at Oak Farm

GV II

Barn and attached complex. Early C19. Mainly red brick in Flemish and English bond, some weatherboarded timber framing, roofed with corrugated asbestos and slate. The barn is aligned N-S, with 2 midstreys to the E, and lean-tos between the midstrey and in the NE angle. From its N end a range extends to the WNW, comprising wagon-lodge, shelter shed and stalls. Further S a range extends W from the barn, having a coach-house with loft over in the middle, and a single-storey wing to each side of it. The barn has a half-hipped gambrel roof of corrugated asbestos. The other buildings have low-pitched hipped roofs of slate. The E elevation of the barn has 2 round windows with cast iron radial tracery, one round-headed window, 3 halved doors, 2 pairs of halved doors and one pair of great doors. The southern half is ceiled and partly lined with matchboarding, having been used as a parish hall. The northern half has an open roof with raking struts from the straight tiebeams to the principal rafters, tenoned collars and clasped purlins in the upper pitch. The WSW range has to the N 4 open bays and 2 pairs of double doors, to the S 2 open bays and 2 halved doors, and is partly weatherboarded. The 2-storey coach-house opens to the S, towards the former farmhouse (now The Oak, item 3/17, q.v.); to the N it has on the first floor 3 partly slatted windows, and on the ground floor 3 halved doors and 3 plain boarded doors. The single-storey wing to the W of it is a shelter shed fully open to the N. The single-storey wing to the E of it comprises stables with 5 halved doors. Built by Guy's Hospital, which owned the farm from 1725 to 1920.

Listing NGR: TM1764025551

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120262

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing