This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE COMPASSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COMPASSES

List entry Number: 1112132

Location

THE COMPASSES, CLACTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Oakley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OAKLEY CLACTON ROAD TM 12 NE (north-east side) 3/24 The Compasses

- II

House. C15, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with interlocking concrete tiles. 3 bays facing W, with an external stack at each end. C20 flat-roofed extension to rear of right end. One storey with attics. 2 C19 casements, and 3 C19/early C20 casements in gabled dormers. C20 door. The interior of the ground floor is largely concealed by modern finishes, but 2 chamfered arched braces to the central tiebeam of the former hall, and the chamfered transverse beam of an inserted floor, c.1600, are apparent through paper. The framing is exposed in the upper right room (the right bay of the former hall), with jowled posts, heavy studding, cambered tiebeam, and crownpost roof. The central crownpost has wide 4-way bracing, and the roof is complete, and smoke-blackened. This building has been converted in the C19 to a pair of cottages, each with its external stack and separate stair; this arrangement remains, although now one house again, and is responsible for the fact that the central tiebeam of the former hall is intact. Shown with a farm of 32 acres, named Compasses, owned and occupied by Samuel Dennis, in the tithe award of 1841 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258).

Listing NGR: TM1666426435

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 16664 26435

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:28:04.

End of official listing