This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WARRENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WARRENS

List entry Number: 1112169

Location

THE WARRENS, DUTON HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Easton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jun-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122188

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. GREAT EASTON DUTON HILL (North Side) The Warrens (formerly listed as Warrens Farmhouse, Duton Hill) TL 62 NW: 4/61 7.2.52

II

2. House, dated by inscription on storey post 1632. 2 storeys, timber framed and plastered, with gabled peg tile roofs. Gabled, peg tiled staircase/porch projection of late C17 on E side. Exterior remodelled in mid-C19 with applied timber framing, rectangular bay window on S gable, 5 sided bay window with oriel dormer over on W side. E side has a quarter-circular porch with peg tile roof and projecting oriel. Off centre ridgeline early C17 stack with 4 octagonal shafts and C19 2 shafted copy on SW corner. Interior reveals heavy, wide timber frame with long tapering jowls, decorative imposts and clasped side purlin roof. The contemporary stack has brick pointed arched fireplaces to the former hall and solar and heated cupboard with original door in flank. The later stair/porch extension contains a fine jacobean staircase with decorative panels and ionic balusters. This alleged to have been moved from Easton Lodge. (RCHM 23).

Listing NGR: TL6050426867

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 60504 26867

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:03:33.

End of official listing