CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112251

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 16:14:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Broxted

National Grid Reference: TL 57843 27380

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROXTED 1. 5222 Church of St Mary the Virgin TL 52 NE 4/16 20.2.67 II* 2. Early C13, but considerably altered C14 and C15 and extensively restored 1875-6. Built of flint rubble with dressings of clunch and brick. Red plain tile roof. C13 nave with early C15 north arcade, with 2 centred arches of 2 moulded orders, moulded bases and capitals. Late C14 north doorway, now blocked, with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch. South wall has 3 windows of C19 with same C16 brickwork. Late C14 south doorway; of 2 moulded orders, with 2 centred head. C19 west window. C13 chancel, has 3 lancet windows in east wall. North wall also has 3 lancet windows. C13 doorway with 2 centred head. South wall rebuilt in C19. C15 north aisle has an early C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in segmental pointed head. C19 windows in north wall. West window is C19 with Cl5 head. Roofs are of 7 cants with tie beams, and one crown post, all apparently Cl9. Weather-boarded bell turret with short broach spire, apparently rebuilt in Cl9. South porch is late C19 or early C20. Brass to John Callyn 1639 in chancel. Some fragments of C15 stained glass in east window, north aisle. C17 pulpit, octagonal with arcaded panels and foliated ornament. Angle posts, rails and cornice carved book rest with carved soffit. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL5784327380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 121985

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing