This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALKER'S FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALKER'S FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1112321

Location

WALKER'S FARMHOUSE, LEVELLS GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Farnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 121841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARNHAM LEVELS GREEN 1. 5222 Walker's Farmhouse (formerly listed as Walker's Manor House) TL 42 SE 24/278 26.11.51 II GV

2. C16 timber-framed and plastered moated manor house (built circa 1560) with C17 and various later alterations. Part of the moat remains. Originally built on a T shaped plan with a Great Hall in the middle and a solar on the south. Two storeys, attics and cellars. The west front has gables at the north and south ends and there is a gabled open arched porch with a room above. A moulded bressummer extends across the centre part of the west front. (The upper storey was originally jettied but is now underbuilt in brick.) Modern casement windows. Roof tiled, with 3 original chimney stacks with octagonal shafts. The stack on the north side is circa 1700. Original internal features include an open fireplace and much panelling. (RCHM 2).

Listing NGR: TL4755824596

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 47558 24596

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112321 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:31:07.

End of official listing