BERDEN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112468

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: BERDEN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BERDEN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 08:13:17.

Location

Statutory Address: BERDEN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Berden

National Grid Reference: TL 46746 29505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BERDEN 1. 5222 Berden Hall TL 42 NE 21/69 26.11.51

II*

2. C16 red brick house with rainwater heads bearing the date 1655, and arms. Originally rectangular with wings projecting on the west side. There are C17 additions at the rear and all the windows were altered at the same time. Each side has 3 gables mostly with moulded copings and finials (some restored). Two storeys and attics. The ground storey has some of the C17 mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights. The east front has a 4 window range of casements with mullions and transom. The windows in the gables are 2-light casements. Raised brick bands extend across the fronts between the storeys. On the east front there is a central doorway with a 3-centred arch with a square label mould, chamfered pilasters and an original panelled door. Above the doorway on the first storey is a central sunk oval panel. The north and south fronts have similar features. Roofs tiled, with 2 original chimney stacks each with 4 octagonal shafts (restored) on rectangular bases. The interior has an original staircase with an open square well and open balusters with strapwork. (RCHM 3).

Listing NGR: TL4674629505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 121475

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing