BEAUCHAMPS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112579

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Statutory Address: BEAUCHAMPS, SHOPLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEAUCHAMPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 09:05:59.

Location

Statutory Address: BEAUCHAMPS, SHOPLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton

National Grid Reference: TQ 90752 88409

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON SHOPLAND ROAD TQ 88 NE (south side) 12/313 Beauchamps 4.12.51 GV 11* House, dated circa 1688 of possibly earlier origin with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roof. Off centre left original and rear right partly rebuilt red brick chimney stacks, also chimney stacks to rear ranges. Red plain tiled roofs. Tripped roof to 2 storey porch, (inner right bay). 2 storeys. Modillioned eaves cornice. 3:1:1 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes. Originally the building front was pargetted but this no longer exists. There is a panel dated 1688 between the second and third first floor windows. Fluted surround, frieze and flat canopy to porch doorway, part glazed double doors with side margins. Internal features, all conforming to the circa 1688 date, include a fine plaster ceiling of 2 bays divided by a carved beam, in each bay is an eliptical wreath of laurel leaves and berries with central pendants of fruits and flowers surrounded by 4 cherubs heads alternating with rosebuds, outside the wreaths at either end of the ceiling are roses and fleur-de-lis. There is a fine staircase with barley sugar twist balusters adjacent to the chimney, an unusual position at this date. Panelling to some rooms, moulded surrounds, wainscots, dados and ornate ceiling covings. 2 fine fireplace surrounds, that to ground floor with painted landscape over. Original staggered side purlin roof. Home of Rev. Philip Benton, C19 Historian. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TQ9075288409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123286

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing