CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HALL ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112585.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:25:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HALL ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rochford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 87182 90283
ROCHFORD OFF HALL ROAD
14/207 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Mainly C15 and C16, C14 north aisle. The thickness of east wall
of nave and north wall of west arcade suggest earlier origin. Walls of ragstone
rubble with flint and septaria in chancel walls and squared rubble in south
aisle, porch and tower stair turret C15/C16 red brick west tower and north
chapel, the latter with timber framed and plastered'double gabled roofs. Heavy
C19 restoration. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel. Probably C15. Plinth.
Dressed angle buttresses and buttress to centre of south wall. Partly restored
C15 east window of 5 cusped lights with vertical tracery over, 2 centred head,
moulded label. Stone cross to gable apex. 2 C15 style windows to south wall
each of 2 pointed lights, quatrefoils over under square heads, labels with
foliate stops to west and king and queen stops to east windows. South aisle.
Plinth. Flint and ragstone diapered crenellations, moulded band under with
gargoyles. East wall window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, moulded
labels. There are 2 C15 cinquefoiled lights under square heads and labels to
south wall with the south porch between. The south porch with crenellations and
band carrying through, east and west windows similar to those in south wall of
aisle, 2-centred archway of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous, the inner
resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases, moulded label. In
each angle is a moulded corbel. C15 inner doorway, moulded jambs, 2-centred
arch and label. South aisle west wall C14 cinquefoiled ogee light in a square
head. Clerestorey north and south walls, moulded cornice, 3 C19/C20 round
headed windows each with different tracery, stopped labels over. West tower
C15/C16 red brick with black diapering. Crenellated with raised octagonal stair
turret to south east, this with ragstone base. Stone coping to crenellations.
Plinth with stone band. Of 3 stages with buttresses to each face of angles.
Bands between stages. Each wall of the bell chamber has a stone window of 2
cinquefoiled lights in a square head, labels over. Second stage, brick north,
south and west restored single light windows with 2-centred heads. West window,
stone of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, 2-centred head, label
over. Below this window is a rectangular sunk panel with moulded label over
containing a stone shield of arms, "a chief indented" for Butler, Earl of
Ormonde. West doorway, stone, moulded jambs, 4-centred arch and label. The
octagonal stair turret has slit lights at various stages. North aisle. Angle
and 2 centre buttresses, right and left windows of 2 cusped and moulded ogee
lights under square heads with labels. West wall window of 2 trefoiled lights
in a square head, moulded label partly of brick. The C14 blocked north doorway
is between the 2 centre buttresses, moulded jambs and 2 centred head. Recessed
to east a C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoils over, moulded
square head and label with king and queen stops. North chapel. Stone with some
brick. Plinth. Angle and central buttresses to north wall. The double jettied
gables with timber bressumers, collars and vertical studs. Stone east wall
window of 3 pointed lights in a segmental head, moulded label. 2 north wall
windows of 2 simple square headed lights, labels over. Octagonal chimney stack
to western roof. Western moulded stone doorway, 4-centre arch, moulded label.
Interior. Chancel. C19 boarded barrel vaulted roof. Moulded wall plates.
Candle chandelier of 18 lights. 4 shields of arms each to north and south
walls. C19 stained glass to east and south windows. Stone crenellated reredos.
Squint to north wall of Santuary. Piscina, cinquefoiled arch, label cut back, 4
centred head chamfered jambs, C19 cill. North doorway, moulded jambs, 2-centred
arch in a square head, quatrefoiled spandrels enclosing small heads, label with
one headstop. Wall memorial above door to Rev. J. Wise 1814. 3 early C16
memorial plaques to south wall. Circa 1700 wooden altar rails with twisted
balusters. Scratching on jamb of south west window. Samuel Purkis 1642. Tall
narrow 2-centred arch to south west wall. Chambered moulded 4-centred arch to
north west. C19 2-centred chancel arch, C19 mosaic over. Nave. C19 roof of 3
bays. Stone corbels support wall posts from which spring moulded arched braces
forming round headed arches to collars. Intermediate principals with collars.
Double side purlins and ridge board. Chamfered arches to clerestorey windows.
North and south arcades of 3 bays, chamfered 2-centred arches, moulded capitals
and bases to columns and responds. C19 stone octagonal pulpit with trefoiled
2-centred arches, roundels to spandrels, stone steps with brass rails. Wooden
eagle lecturn, 4 carved figures to stem. Font. Moulded base, moulded band to
stem, moulded soffit and rim, curved octagonal bowl. South aisle. 3 bay
lean-to roof. Moulded arched braces supported by carved head corbels, moulded
centre purlin. Piscina in south wall, moulded jambs and rounded head. Blocked
rood loft door to north east wall, rebated jambs, 2=centred head, masons mark.
C19/C20 stained glass to windows. South wall memorial to John Lodwick 1845.
West wall stair turret doorway, hollow chamfered jambs and 2-centred head.
Masons mark similar to rood loft doorway. Nailed and boarded door with moulded
band and muntins, strap hinges. North Aisle. 5 bay lean-to roof with stop
chamfered principals. Stained glass to windows. Small brass of woman in a
pedimented head-dress praying, Mary Dilcok, 1514, below north western window.
1914-18 War Memorial to north wall. Memorial to Captain H. Clifford RFC killed
defending London from air attack 7 March 1918. East window of 2 cinquefoiled
ogee lights, tracery over. West tower:- 2 centred tower arch of 3 chamfered
orders, the inner with moulded capitals and bases. High up in south wall is a
blocked segmental stone arch. North chapel. North wall said to be a fireplace
with hollow chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch in a square head. South wall
large recess with a 4-centred head, now partly blocked. Hatchment above door
into chancel. South porch. Roof. 2 stone corbels on east and west walls
support arched braces to centre purlin. East wall, coffin lid with moulded
edges and raised cross, probably C13. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ8718290283
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22820
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing