CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112676

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:27:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Rayleigh

National Grid Reference: TQ 80814 90925

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAYLEIGH CHURCH STREET TQ 8090-8190 7/71 Church of Holy Trinity 27.8.57 GV II*

Parish church. C12 Chancel, C14/C15 west tower, Nave, north and south aisles and north vestry. Circa 1517 south chapel and C16 south porch. C19 and C20 restorations and enlargement of north chapel. Ragstone rubble, flint and some brick. Limestone and Roman brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. South porch of red brick. East walls, gabled Chancel and north chapel, catslide roof to north vestry, crenellated parapet to south chapel, band under. Buttresses to south chapel and Chancel. Flint and stone chequerwork plinth to south chapel, moulded plinth to Chancel and north chapel. 4 light cinquefoil windows under square heads with labels to south chapel and Chancel, the latter with a small trefoiled light over. 4 light 2 centre arched window with label to north chapel and a small square chamfered 2 light window to north vestry, all C19/C20 or heavily restored. Blocked C15 segmental doorway to Chancel and a C19/C20 north vestry doorway. North walls. North vestry west return has a small trefoiled 2 light window and a small rectangular light. 5 buttresses to Nave and north aisle with windows between. That to east of 3 cinquefoil lights in a 3 centred head, the others, 5 cinquefoil lights in segmental pointed heads, labels over. The western window is above the blocked 2 centre arched north doorway. West return window of 2 cinquefoil. lights under a 2 centre arched head, label over. West tower of 3 stages, crenellated with raised crenellated stair turret to south west. Gargoyles to parapet band. Second stage band. Moulded plinth with band over. All faces of bellchamber with 2 cinquefoiled lights under square heads, labels over. North, south and west walls with a trefoiled light under square head to second stage, west wall with a similar window over. West window of 3 lights with vertical tracery over, 2 centre arched head and label. The band of stone panels below this window formerly with shields, including the De Vere arms. In the buttress to south of this band is an ogee niche with label over. West doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centre arch under square head and label. South walls. South aisle has 3 windows between 3 buttresses to east of south porch, the western of 3 trefoiled lights under segmental head, the 2 eastern of 3 cinquefoil lights under segmental pointed heads. 2 centre arched south doorway, of 2 orders, shafts with capitals and bases, label over. West return window of 3 pointed lights in a square head. Crenellated parapet, red brick band under. South chapel, 3 buttresses and two 3 cinquefoiled lights under square heads. South porch. Early C16 red brick. Crenellated crow stepped parapet, trefoiled corbel table. Angle buttresses. Chamfered outer archway, 4 centred head and label. Niche over with chamfered 4 centred head set in a square outer order. Side walls each have a 2 light window in a square head with moulded label. Brick vaulted roof with chamfered diagonal and wall ribs springing from moulded corbels in the angles. Seats to each wall. Interior. Chancel. 2 arm crown post roof, moulded capitals and bases, possibly a copy. C19/C20 panelled reredos, carved altar rail and carved choir stalls. Square chamfered piscina to north wall. North and south walls with C15/C16 chamfered 4 centred arches. C15 Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders. Above the Chancel arch to north is a square niche, possibly part of the rood screen walk. C20 Chancel screen. Circa 1517 South chapel, south wall, recessed wall monument the base with 3 cusped and traceried panels, 2 with shields, moulded edge to top slab, rear wall has 5 traceried ogee niches with moulded pedastals, remains of foliated cornice and 2 shields, square headed canopy with cusped and panelled soffit and side shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Said to be the tomb of Richard Alen, the chapel built by him over the grave of his father William Alen. North chapel. Probably late C15 7 cant roof. C15 carved screen from Runwell Church. C16 glass in east window. Circa 1500 piscina in south wall, 3 centred head and round drain. Nave. C15 north and south arcades each of 4 bays with 2 centred arches of 2 moulded orders, 4 attached shafts to columns and moulded capitals and bases. Roof of 5 and a half bays with 5 tie beams, 4 arm crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. Consecration crosses on west wall flanking tower arch. Inscriptions to south aisle piers. Red and yellow brick floor, other than to pew areas. C19 large octagonal stone font with fleuron and roundel decoration, central stem with 4 attached shafts, square base, wooden traceried pointed cover. C20 octagonal pulpit. Brass lectern. North aisle. 2 doors to rood loft stairs, the lower has rebated jambs and 4 centred head, the upper has a re-used cusped and sub cusped head. C15 brasses set in stone slab, Sir Thomas Barrington and his wife 1416 and 1420, man's head missing. South aisle. Screen in memory of Lt. Chapman killed in action 2.12.1917 with carved figure of a soldier on battlefield. 2 shields to splay of window east of south door. West tower. 2 centred tower arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. Moulded 2 centre arched doorway to stair turret, nailed 3 board door with strap hinges and lock plate. C17 gallery. Tie beam carved with jewel decoration, hearts to spandrels on moulded wall posts. Royal arms on north wall of Queen Anne before the Union. Medieva$dpg out chest with traces of iron straps and hinges. Bell, on floor, mark of Robert Burford, said to be early C15, moulded "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum", another old bell is still in the tower made by Thomas Bullisdon and possible arabic numerals, 1508, motto. Sancta Marguereta Ora Pro. There are 6 other bells, 2 recast 1790 and 2 dated 1897. The stone for the tower is believed to have come from Rayleigh Castle, a licence was granted by Richard II in 1394 to the people of Rayleigh for the carrying away of stone for repairs to church and building of a belfry. A document of 1396 specifies the building of the tower. A Short History of Rayleigh Parish Church. Rev. G.W. Hatch, Rector. Church Carpentry. C.A. Hewett. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8081490925

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123016

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hatch, Reverend G W , A Short History of Rayleigh Parish Church
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982)

End of official listing