This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BLOCKS K-M, SHOEBURY GARRISON

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLOCKS K-M, SHOEBURY GARRISON

List entry Number: 1112690

Location

BLOCKS K-M, SHOEBURY GARRISON, HOSPITAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Southend-on-Sea

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122958

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA HOSPITAL ROAD (north west side), Shoebury Garrison

5/10030 Blocks K-M, Shoebury Garrison 28.4.86 GV II

Terrace of 6 NCO houses, now 3. 1861, drawings signed by Cpt Inglis, RE. Yellow stock brick with brick chamfered square ridge stacks and square end gable stack, and slate roof. Single-depth plan with rear service range. EXTERIOR: each a single storey; 5-bay range. Each a symmetrical front with rubbed brick heads to mid C20 doors and overlights, and horned 4/4-pane sashes. Right-hand guard house with C20 verandah and inserted window. Rear gabled service ranges with attic hatches and 6/6-pane sashes. INTERIOR: altered mid C20, contains flush 4-panel doors. HISTORY: sergeant's accommodation at the School of British Gunnery, opened 1859. Included as part of a group with the hospital (qv), within a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 357-358; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).



Listing NGR: TQ9386684698

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Glennie, D, Gunners Town History of Shoeburyness, (1948)

National Grid Reference: TQ 93866 84698

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:18:49.

End of official listing