COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, HORSESHOE BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112691

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1999

Statutory Address: COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, HORSESHOE BARRACKS, MESS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, HORSESHOE BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 06:15:58.

Location

Statutory Address: COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, HORSESHOE BARRACKS, MESS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Southend-on-Sea (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 93834 84606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA MESS ROAD (north west side), Shoebury Garrison

5/723 Commandant's House, Horseshoe Barracks 28.4.86 GV II

Commandant's House. 1851, built by D Nicholson and Sons, Wandsworth, extended 1860 and later. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge and gable stacks, and slate hipped and gabled roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. Rendered porch to left of centre has half-glazed door with overlight to right of gabled bay with added conservatory. Projecting eaves are supported on decorative cast-iron brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: one of the first buildings on the site, for the superintendent, Shoebury was expanded in 1859 as the first British School of Gunnery. Included as an important part of a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 351-353; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).



Listing NGR: TQ9383484606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122959

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Glennie, D, Gunners Town History of Shoeburyness, (1948)

End of official listing