This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BLOCKS A-D, HORSESHOE BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLOCKS A-D, HORSESHOE BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1112692

Location

1-7, WARRIOR SQUARE, SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Southend-on-Sea

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/09/2014

TQ 98 SW 5/728

SOUTHEND ON SEA, Shoebury Garrison, WARRIOR SQUARE (east side), No. 1-7, Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks

(Formerly listed as Numbers 1-4 (Consecutive), Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks)

28.4.86

GV II

Terrace of 4 officers' quarters at British School of Gunnery, now houses. 1860, Block D added c1870, altered 1925. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick flat arches, brick ridge stacks and slate roof. Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan with rear service blocks. EXTERIOR: each a 2-storey; 5-window range. Long symmetrical front with plat band and overhanging roof; each house has a central flat-headed porch with narrow side lights, flat-headed door with overlight and double panelled doors, and narrow side windows, with flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. 1-window range end gables have a blind attic lunette. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having rear dogleg stair from entrance hall. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Each originally had rooms for 4 officers to the front and rear servants' quarters. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 361-364; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).



Listing NGR: TQ8832085635

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Glennie, D, Gunners Town History of Shoeburyness, (1948)

National Grid Reference: TQ 93701 84708

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:19:48.

End of official listing