PROOF AND EXPERIMENTAL ESTABLISHMENT, SHOEBURY GARRISON, OLD RANGES, HEAVY QUICK FIRING BATTERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112693

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: PROOF AND EXPERIMENTAL ESTABLISHMENT, SHOEBURY GARRISON, OLD RANGES, HEAVY QUICK FIRING BATTERY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PROOF AND EXPERIMENTAL ESTABLISHMENT, SHOEBURY GARRISON, OLD RANGES, HEAVY QUICK FIRING BATTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 17:25:55.

Location

Statutory Address: PROOF AND EXPERIMENTAL ESTABLISHMENT, SHOEBURY GARRISON, OLD RANGES, HEAVY QUICK FIRING BATTERY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Southend-on-Sea (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 93664 84242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PROOF AND EXPERIMENTAL 1. ESTABLISHMENT, SHOEBURY 5219 GARRISON Old Ranges: Former TQ 98 SW 5/100 Heavy Quick-Firing Battery II 2. Heavy Quick-Firing Battery,now disused.1898, incorporating part of earlier battery, extended during construction and completed 1900. Mass concrete outer walls in 1:3 Portland cement with broken stone and sand; core of brick burrs. 4 semi-circular bastions with projecting parapet. Neatly shuttered in horizontal courses. Twin towers of ammunition hoist and single storey structures attached to rear. An early concrete building used for training in methods of firing from an elevated position; the hoist towers also used for training in fire-fighting. The hoist room retains part of the curved ceiling from an earlier battery, possible C.1850.

Listing NGR: TQ9366484242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122966

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing