MARTEG HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112696

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1991

Statutory Address: MARTEG HOUSE, 51, ANERLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARTEG HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:28:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MARTEG HOUSE, 51, ANERLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Southend-on-Sea (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 86759 85881

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

ANERLEY ROAD, WESTCLIFFE TQ 88 NE 2/102 No 51 (Marteg House) II House. 190l-2 by Walter J Tapper for W Harmon Morgan MD. Red brick. Plain tile hipped roof with sprocketed wooden modillion eaves cornice. Brick axial and lateral stacks, the lateral stack with stone volutes.

Double pile plan: In front range the kitchen with scullery behind on left and surgery and waiting room on right with central entrance hall between, leading to stair well and surgery entrance on right and back doorway on left. The dining and drawing rooms are in the block at the back. Queen Anne style.

2 storeys. Symmetrical 2:3:2 bay north front with narrower windows to right and left of centre. Rusticated brick quoins and stringcourse and heavy wooden modillion cornice. 12 and 18-pane sashes with exposed cases and rubbled brick flat arches. Central doorway with moulded architrave, panelled reveals and semi-circular curved canopy with egg and dart moulding on console brackets with acanthus leafs; Chippendale type overlight and moulded 6-panel door. Right hand (west) return has side doorway with canopy on console brackets, semi-circular fanlight and half-glazed door, with large mullion transom stair window above to right. Narrower rear elevation of 4 bays under double span roof with similar sash windows and garden doorway to left of centre.

Interior: Has good panelled hall with 2-bay arcaded screen to stair well containing moulded string staircase with turned balusters and panelled walls. The other rooms were not inspected but may be of interest.

Sources: i. The Builder November 1902. ii. Architect's drawings with the local authority. _ .

Listing NGR: TQ8675985881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122972

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in November, (1902)

End of official listing