This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TAN FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TAN FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1112728

Location

TAN FARMHOUSE, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stebbing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122837

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 62 SE STEBBING MILL LANE 4/416 Tan Farmhouse (formerly listed 7.2.52 as Tan Office Farmhouse) G.V. II*

House C15 with C17 extension to road front right. L shape. Exposed timber frame with plaster infill. Red plain tiled roofs with ½ hip and gablet to right. 2 storeys. 4 windows range of C20 diamond leaded casements. C20 plank and muntin door with side light. Halved and bridled scarf to top plates. The C15 rear wing has a 2 storeyed, jettied porch to north and a 6 light original mullion window. The South face with a single storied gabled porch with original C17 turned balusters, 5 light original mullion window and long wall jetty. This range, circa 1450 was originally of 2 jetties, the south jetty filled in and the north jetty reduced in width about circa 1600 when a diagonal shaft, back to back chimney was inserted. There is also a 2 shaft octagonal chimney with two original fireplaces of mid c1600. Some early C18 doors remain and restored brick floors. Roofs of 2 arm crownpost construction. One room has moulded ceiling joists and others have stop chamfered beams; some with inverted chamfers.

Listing NGR: TL6599124122

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 65991 24122

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112728 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 12:59:44.

End of official listing