This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1112769

Location

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stebbing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122831

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6624 STEBBING MILL LANE 10/410 United Reformed Church

II

Chapel circa 1877. Red brick built with yellow brick bands and dressings and moulded brick ornamentation. Grey slate roof. Single storey. A central gabled panel breaks forward with a yellow brick, stepped cornice and flat topped pilaster feet. Stepped cornice to all eaves with a follow through band to centr panel. A moulded band of stylized laurel leaves runs at window head level and a yellow band at cill level. The central double doors have stone pilasters with moulded capitals, a frieze with paterae and a moulded, flat canopy surmounted by a short stone band with projecting pedimented stops. 2:1:1:2 window range of original vertical 4 paned sliding sash windows, the top sliding pane, with varied coloured glazed margins, with yellow gauged brick arches and red moulded brick keystones. The 2 windows to right and left each share a stone cill with ornate moulded stone brackets and infill of moulded foliar bricks. Matching cills and mouldings to the windows to right and left of central door. Central moulded brick plaque to gable bears the date 1877. Return walls are with matching cornice, bands and mouldings and with 3 matching windows sharing matching cills and mouldings and gable apex with yellow brick roundels with carved stone pierced quatrefoil infills. An unusual and interesting building for this period. The heavily moulded bricks seem to be a unique example in this area.

Listing NGR: TL6610324215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 66103 24215

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:30:25.

End of official listing