This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1112864

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, BURY CHASE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Felsted

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 122542

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6620 & 6720 FELSTED BURY CHASE

9/89 Church of The Holy Cross 20.2.67 G.V. I

Church. E.C12 with C14, C16 and later additions and alterations. Mainly built of rubble and flint, with some brick and tile, and stone dressings. The South Chapel of clunch ashlar. Plain red tile and lead roofs. Early C12 West Tower and N.W. angle of Nave. Late C12 South aisle and arcade. Early C14 North aisle and arcade and clerestorey. Chancel and possibly South aisle rebuilt Mid C14. C15 North vestry with 2 contemporary windows of 1 and 2 lights. C15 South Porch with modern outer arch and 1 light windows. Early C16 South Chapel. Late C19 Organ Chamber built between South aisle and South Chapel. Much restoration work was carried out C19 and C20. Roofs to Chancel and Nave of 7 cants with moulded wall plates and 3 and 5 tie beams respectively. Both aisle roofs are almost flat with stone corbels to wall plates of N. aisle, and brackets to tie beams. Repairs to both were carried out between c.1770 and c.1800. The West Tower is of 3 stages and crenellated, with a stair turret in S.W. angle lit by round- headed loops in S. & W. walls. The semi-circular Tower Arch is of 2 orders, the outer roll moulded and the inner of brick of unknown date, with modern detached shafts to responds, and a modern wooden screen separates Choir Vestry from the Nave. The West Norman doorway is of 3 semi-circular orders, the outer two chevron, the inner plain with plain lintel and tympanium. The jambs each had 2 shafts, but are much restored. Above the door is a 2 order round-headed window. The original doorway to the turret has round-headed arch. Second stage, East wall has round-headed doorway opening into the nave. N. S. & W. walls with round-headed windows. Bell Chamber with modern round-headed windows. The C18 bell cote is an octagonal pyramid with open octagonal cupola with moulded base and cornice and ogee coping surmounted by a vane. The cupola contains the C18 south wall clock bell. The nave has 2 arcades of 4 bays E.C.12. South arcade with 2 circular piers and centre octagonal pier, with foliated capitals and chamfered plinths. North arcade with 3 octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. The arches are 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders. All arches are plastered with a scalloped soffit decoration which is repeated in the tower arch. North aisle, is uncrenellated and has 3 grotesques above the windows. There are 2, 2 stage buttresses and 4 modern, 3 light, 2 light alternating windows in flat heads, the west Wall has a C14 one light window with 2 centred head and moulded labels. The South aisle wall is crenellated, with 2 stage buttresses and 3 modern, 3 light windows. The reset South door, has a 2 centre arch of 3 square arches with moulded label. The jambs, each with 2 side shafts, with carved water leaf capitals and square moulded abaci. The West wall has C14 window with central mullion and cusped tracery. The C15 Porch is crenellated, with modern doors and windows. On the E. side of the door is a holy water stoup. The Clerestorey has on each side, 3 windows of 2 lights, modern, except for the splays and rear arches with moulded labels. Chancel Arch C14, 2 centred of 2 moulded arches, modern responds. North Vestry with 2 C15 windows of one and 2 lights under a square head. 2 modern doorways. South Chapel is much restored with C19/C20 door and 2 windows. 3 light design, one with arched head and one with flat head, and in the W wall a modern arch to the organ chamber, which was built 1877. Chancel C19. E. window set in C14 opening with original splays, 2 centred rear arch and moulded internal label. The opening reduced in height for the C19 window. 2 C14 windows, one in the N. wall, each of 2 trefoiled lights. East of these is the C19 doorway to the Vestry. The S. wall has a C19 arcade of 2 bays opening into the S. Chapel. Fittings. In S. Chapel Monument to Richard 1st Lord Rich 1566 and Robert, his son 1581. Alabaster and marble, consisting of altar-tomb and effigy, canopy and kneeling figure at W. end. Altar tomb on high step and divided at N. end by pilasters of black and green marble. In the bays is a panel incised with a figure subject (a) Ld. Rich on horseback with mace bearer and attendants (b) Ld Rich's funeral hearse with effigy under elaborate canopy. Effigy of Ld. Rich reclines on alter tomb in flat cap and furred robe, book in right hand, bearded face. Flat classical canopy supported by 2 black marble Corinthian columns with strap work pedestal, capitals and bases, all of alabaster. Above the cornice a pediment flanked by vases. Wall at back of 3 bays with panels carved in relief. At west end of altar-tomb a small reading desk at which kneels an alabster effigy in half plate armour, with broken left arm, and at the back a panel of arms in a segmental head. Font. A square Norman bowl with a head carved on the boss at each angle. Supports are C20. Alleged to have been found in the River Chelmer. Brasses. Effigy of Chistina Bray 1420 AD and an effigy of a man in plate armour 1414 AD. E.C14 Black marble slab, the matrix of a brass in which there is a long foliated cross and a small effigy of a priest. In the N. wall of the Sanctuary are the remains of the C14 altar tomb, recess with two-centred ogee moulded arch with cinquefoiled soffit sub cusped in the middle cusp on each side. Moulded and crocketed label with elaborate finial side, shafts with moulded and carved capitals and bases, flanked by projecting buttresses with gabled and crocketed pinnacles with carved finials. Piscina in vestry S. wall C15 with moulded jambs and cinquefoil arch in square head, shelf and circular drain. Poor Box, nail studded and iron bound with 3 locks, possibly L.C16, on second pier of S. Arcade of Nave. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL6765320387

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 67653 20387

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:10:58.

End of official listing