RECORDER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112902

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: RECORDER'S HOUSE, 17, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of RECORDER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:30:01.

Location

Statutory Address: RECORDER'S HOUSE, 17, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Thaxted

National Grid Reference: TL 61181 30911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. THAXTED TOWN STREET (South Side) No. 17 (Recorder's House) TL 63SW: 5/139 7.2.52

GV II*

2. Mid C15 three storey town house, jettied at first and second storey. Timber framed and plastered, with red plain tile roof. 2 window range of C18 double hung vertical sliding sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor has C19 shop window bays, and also bay windows at first floor, resting on original oriel cills, carved with a Griffon and the arms of Edward IV, supported by a lion and a bull. Jetties are supported on carved brackets, on shafts with moulded capitals. To the rear is an original outbuilding timber framed and plastered, with red plain tile roof. 2 storeys. This joined to main house, with C16 or C17 infill. Mid C15 red brick chimney stack. Internally most of the original frame is exposed, with original windows, stop chamfered beam and jowled storey posts. Some C17 and modern panelling. (Named after the Recorder under the 1556 Charter). (RCHM 15).

Listing NGR: TL6118130911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122430

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing