SCREEN WITH ALCOVE AND NICHES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF HEYTHROP HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112992

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1999

Statutory Address: SCREEN WITH ALCOVE AND NICHES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF HEYTHROP HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCREEN WITH ALCOVE AND NICHES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF HEYTHROP HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112992 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 23:37:13.

Location

Statutory Address: SCREEN WITH ALCOVE AND NICHES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF HEYTHROP HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Heythrop

National Grid Reference: SP 36220 26148

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP32NE HEYTHROP HEYTHROPPARK

1717/5/10001 Screen with alcove and niches SSW of Heythrop House

GV II*

Ornamental garden screen. Early C18; probably circa 1710 by Thomas Archer, for the Duke of Shrewsbury. Ashlar. 3-bay screen with wide alcove with segmental arch in slightly advanced central bay, and flanking round-headed niches, all with arris mouldings, and with cyma moulded cornice above. The alcove has three small round-headed niches inside and a groin vault. The flanking niches each have stone shelves for statues. At the back there is a semi-circular bay at the centre built of large rustic blocks, and the wall to the left and right has been supported by concrete buttresses. NOTE: This screen and the nearby bath house and its reservoir ((qv) item 10002) are features in a very early example of a naturalistic garden. SOURCE Victoria County History, vol.11, p.135.



Listing NGR: SP3622026148

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477294

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of : Volume 11135

End of official listing