This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WELLS AND CAMPDEN BATHS AND WASH HOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WELLS AND CAMPDEN BATHS AND WASH HOUSES

List entry Number: 1113009

Location

THE WELLS AND CAMPDEN BATHS AND WASH HOUSES, FLASK WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NE FLASK WALK 798-1/27/477 (North side) The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash Houses

GV II

Former baths and wash-houses. 1888. By Henry S Legg; converted to housing c1985. Stock brick with tiled hipped roof having a Flemish gable to the penultimate left hand bay and tall brick slab chimney-stack with stepped brick cornice on left hand return. 5 bays of 9 windows. 2 storeys. Right hand bay canted. Round-arched entrance, in gabled bay, with hood on tall brackets, fanlight with keystone and panelled door. Paired cambered arch 2-pane sashes to left hand ground floor bay and all of 1st floor. Ground floor with 2 and 3-light sashes having stone lintels and mullions. Stone plaque inscribed "The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash-houses 1888" at first floor level beneath sill cornice. Carved coat of arms set within gable. INTERIORS: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was designed for the Wells and Campden Charity, a major local landowner. An early surviving baths building, it is significant and symbolic that a site was chosen for it right by that of the original Chalybeate spring, at the heart of an important group of listed buildings and closing the view at the end of Flask Walk.





Listing NGR: TQ2657585897

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26575 85897

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 11:35:41.

End of official listing