This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 14 AND 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PILLARS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 14 AND 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PILLARS

List entry Number: 1113027

Location

NUMBERS 14 AND 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PILLARS, 14 AND 15, GORDON SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2982SE GORDON SQUARE 798-1/94/591 (West side) 28/03/69 Nos.14 AND 15 and attached railings and pillars (Formerly Listed as: GORDON SQUARE Nos.14 AND 15 Dr William's Library)

GV II

University hall, later library. 1848. By TL Donaldson. Red brick with stone dressings. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: 5 storeys and semi-basement. Double fronted with 5 bays of windows. Facade articulated by octagonal turrets with stone octagonal finials, rising the height of the building, at the angles and flanking the entrance. Stone band at 1st floor sill, wide 2nd floor sill band with quatrefoil enrichment and crockets. 3rd floor strings one with crockets. 4-centred arch doorway with moulded architrave, decorated spandrels, hood-mould with decorated label-stops and panelled door. Above the entrance, an oriel window of 4 pointed headed lights rising through the 1st and 2nd floors, with a quatrefoil enriched apron at 2nd floor level, cornice and terminating in a brick gable. Windows, except the semi-basement, with pointed headed lights and hood-moulds with decorated lable-stops. Ground floor windows, with enriched aprons, of 2 lights flanking the entrance and 4 lights to the outer bays. Similar windows to the 1st and 2nd floors but with enriched spandrel panels. String with crockets beneath stone-capped, crenellated parapet. INTERIOR: entrance hall with heavy Gothic style stone imperial type stairs. Behind, a panelled room with stained glass windows. 1st floor library with cast-iron gallery. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with octagonal stone pillars having shaped finials. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949).





Listing NGR: TQ2972082212

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29720 82212

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 11:12:48.

End of official listing