ST DOROTHYS CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1113077
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
ST DOROTHYS CONVENT, 99, FROGNAL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113077.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 04:48:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST DOROTHYS CONVENT, 99, FROGNAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26115 85867

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW FROGNAL 798-1/26/528 (West side) 11/08/50 No.99 St Dorothy's Convent (Formerly Listed as: FROGNAL No.99 Frognal House)

GV II

Detached house, now a convent finishing school. c1740, partly refaced late C19; late C20 alterations. Brown brick with red brick dressings, moulded brick plinth and pilasters supporting a cornice at 2nd floor level. 3 storeys and basement. Single window entrance front and 3 window return to garden. C20 entrance with canopy. Gauged red brick segmental arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. 1st floor sash above entrance, round-arched with a cast-iron guard. Garden front with central full height canted bay, ground and 1st floor windows altered to French windows, 1st floor with early C19 cast-iron balconies. Parapet with C20 plain cast-iron balustrade. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: following the Crimean War the house became the Sailors' Orphan Girls' Home and was the home of General de Gaulle and family in 1940-2. Converted to a finishing school 1968.





Listing NGR: TQ2611585867

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477427
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13999/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Elisabeth Cox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].