FROGNAL GROVE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113081
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
FROGNAL GROVE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGE, 105-111, FROGNAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FROGNAL GROVE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113081.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 07:46:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
FROGNAL GROVE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGE, 105-111, FROGNAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26125 85917

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW FROGNAL 798-1/26/531 (West side) 11/08/50 Nos.105-111 (Odd) Frognal Grove including former stable range

GV II*

Large house with stable block, now 4 semi-detached houses. c1745-50. By Henry Flitcroft for himself; much altered with later additions. No.105 was the south-east range; No.107 the principal block; No.109 largely later C19 work with 1926 extension; No.111 converted stables. Painted brick with slated and tiled roofs. EXTERIOR: No.105: originally 2-storey south-east range, 3rd storey added mid C19 by GE Street who also added a porch and verandah to the west front. No.107: the principal block. Slated hipped mansard roof with dormers and wooden rectangular cupola having segmental openings, hipped roof and weathervane. 3 storeys and attic. 4 windows. Brick and timber round-arched pergola, erected pre-1894, leads to architraved doorway with panelled doors and cast-iron entrance gables. Stone at 1st floor level. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes; upper floors with louvred shutters. Stone cornice and stone coped brick parapet. No.109: 3 storeys 3 windows in similar style to No.107. Extended late C19 and remodelled 1926 for Mr and Mrs Ernest Joseph. Rear comprises a wide 5-light canted bowed bay. No.111: northern former stable range, later C19, possibly with some C18 work, altered C20. Tiled hipped roof with dormers and gabled Diocletian window. Single storey with attics. Former entrances with open pediments and arched niches or fanlights over doorways. INTERIORS: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Henry Flitcroft bought the copyhold of Frognal Grove in 1741 from Thomas Watson-Wentworth, Earl of Malton. This house replaced a structure of c1700. Henry Flitcroft junior inherited the house but leased it out, the most famous tenant being Edward Montagu, Master in Chancery who lived there between 1772 and c1794. The house subsequently passed into the hands of the Street family, into which Flitcroft's great-granddaughter had married. The architect GE Street inherited the property in 1871-2 and was responsible for works here. Also known as Montagu Lodge, Frognal Grove was subdivided in the 1950s. (Country Life: Nares G: Frognal Grove, Hampstead - 24 June



1949: 1502-1506; Victoria County History: Middlesex, Vol. IX, Hampstead and Paddington Parishes: Oxford: -1989: 17).



Listing NGR: TQ2613085905

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477431
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex: Volume IX, (1989), 17
Nares, G, 'Country Life' in 24th June Frognal Grove Hampstead, (1949), 1502-1506

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13999/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Elisabeth Cox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].