MECCA SOCIAL CLUB CARLTON ROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113102

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1991

Statutory Address: MECCA SOCIAL CLUB CARLTON ROOMS, MAIDA VALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MECCA SOCIAL CLUB CARLTON ROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:38:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MECCA SOCIAL CLUB CARLTON ROOMS, MAIDA VALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25707 83394

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2583SE MAIDA VALE 798-1/80/1098 (East side) 05/02/91 Mecca Social Club Carlton Rooms

GV II

Formerly known as: The Maida Vale Picture House MAIDA VALE. Cinema, now a social club and bingo hall. 1912. By Edward A Stone. For Messrs Wilmot, Williams and Co. Stucco with red brick returns. EXTERIOR: symmetrical facade with central entrance bay of 3 round-arched openings flanked by enriched pilasters and approached by 4 curved steps. 4 architraved windows to 1st floor, central 2 paired, with scrolled pediments and separated by enriched pilasters supporting an entablature with dentil cornice and blocking course above which appears a small segmental-arched pediment with keystone and shell enrichment. Central bays flanked by rectangular towers each with paired, architraved windows with cornices to ground floor (left hand, a door), an oculus at mezzanine level and above, 2 narrow vertically set windows. Each tower crowned by enriched dies at angles and a circular belvedere with oculi having scrolled surrounds, an enriched frieze, dentil cornice and cupola with flag pole. INTERIOR: panelled foyer with part fluted pilasters supporting an entablature with mirrored frieze and dentil cornice above which a deep plasterwork frieze of putti, animals, birds and foliage. Enriched plasterwork panelled ceiling with bracketed cornice. Sumptuous, fine quality gilded auditorium with balcony at rear giving impression of 4 boxes. Giant Ionic panelled pilasters alternate with round-arched, etched glass mirrors with above, tall lugged panels having wreath and festoon plasterwork. Proscenium arch flanked by fluted Ionic half columns supporting an entablature with central foliated cartouche. To either side, tall panels of geometric openwork design. Coved, panelled ceiling with wide, intricately moulded ribs. Central circular panel with enriched plasterwork spandrels and dome with flaming sun and rays enrichment. Seating now removed. HISTORICAL NOTE: a rare example of a virtually unaltered early picture house. In 1949 it became the Carlton Rooms Dance Hall; in 1965 a casino and bingo hall.





Listing NGR: TQ2570783394

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477480

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing