Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113157

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:28:39.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28957 82422


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2882SE MUNSTER SQUARE 798-1/92/1170 Church of St Mary Magdalene 10/06/54


Church. 1849-52 by RC Carpenter for Rev Edward Stuart, alterations 1866-7 by Slater and Carpenter; north aisle & crypt added 1883-4 by RH Carpenter and B Ingelow. Snecked Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Tiled pitched roofs with ornamental ridge tiles. STYLE: Decorated. EXTERIOR: large sanctuary, 6-bay nave with 2 aisles of almost equal widths and height under separate roofs. No clerestory. Uncompleted south-west tower. North-west facade with octagonal bell turret terminating in gabled louvres under a conical roof with finial. Gabled entrance porch at north-west corner with hoodmould and ballflower decoration to pointed arch moulding; cast and wrought-iron gates with scrolled decoration. In the gable, a relief cross added 1921 with quatrefoil enrichment on a patterned background. Aisles buttressed between traceried windows. East end has 7-light window with reticulated tracery and wheel; west end has 6-light window with quatrefoils and quatrefoil rose window. INTERIOR: arch-braced collar-truss type roof of Baltic fir with cross windbraces. Pointed aisle arcades on piers of 4 clustered columns; moulded chancel arch on clustered columns. White plastered walls. Nave floored in red tiles from the first, and always with movable free seating. Arcaded chancel with shafts and spandrels of St Ann's marble. Sedilia and roof coloured by Mssrs. Crace. Piscina 1895 by Norman Shaw and made by Farmer and Brindley. Chancel floored in encaustic tiles when raised in 1866 by Slater and Carpenter and frescoes added by Bell, Redfern and Almond 1867. Memorial to Edward Stuart on lowest step. High altar lengthened 1912 by MCC Durston. Crucifix 1884 moved to south aisle. Reredos 1929 by Sir Charles Nicholson; his also the clergy and choir stalls, the latter moved to back of nave in 1971. Reordered 1990. Roodbeam (1903) and screens (1906) by JT Micklethwaite and Somers Clarke. South or calvary chapel with altar and communion rails by Nicholson (also glass, see below). Altar in the north or Blessed Sacrament chapel from Christ Church Albany Street, its lamps are Spanish, donated in 1895. Font restored 1886, cover 1930 by Nicholson. Attractive settle in children's corner dated 1929. Stained glass: east window of special interest as being one of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin's last designs, made by Hardman. One chancel window the only other Hardman glass to survive. South aisle from east: east window replacing Hardman's designed by Nicholson in 1931-2 and made by Scharlieb; two memorial windows to Sir Edward Hall Anderson, 1857 by Clayton and Bell under the supervision of William Butterfield. Nativity window 1862 by Lavers and Barraud; west aisle window 1884 by Clayton and Bell. North aisle from east: east window and one next to it by Clayton and Bell, Last Supper 1891; two windows of 1884 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne; memorial to George J Palmer dated 1892 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne; west aisle window 1891 by Clayton and Bell. West nave window by AA Orr replacing memorial window to RC Carpenter 1857 designed by John Clayton and made by Hardman, destroyed in Second World War. Painting on south aisle wall over former schools entrance by Clayton and Bell. Stations of the Cross given in 1895. Windows in north aisle of crypt filled by 1975 with delightful stained glass from St Augustine's Haggerston, of 1930-2 by Margaret Rope. HISTORICAL NOTE: the plan of the church with its nearly equal nave and aisles and intended tall tower, together with its wholly English style, demonstrate the influence of Augusutus Welby Northmore Pugin.The design was based, however, on the Austin Friars Church in the City. It was a leading centre of Tracterian worship from its foundation. On its consecration in 1852 the Ecclesiologist described it as "the most artistically correct new church yet consecrated in London". Norman Shaw worshipped here for 42 years and described it as "the beau ideal of a town church". (The Builder: 11 August 1855: 372; The Builder: 28 July 1858: 354-5; The Builder: 3 November 1866: 818; The Builder: 1 March 1884: 322; Thomas E Sedgwick, with J T Micklethwaite, R Norman Shaw et al.: Description and History of the Church of St Mary Magdalene: London: -1902; Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 140).

Listing NGR: TQ2895782422


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477558

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Description and History of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, (1902)
'The Builder' in 11th August, (1855), 372
'The Builder' in 1st March, (1884), 322
'The Builder' in 3rd November, (1866), 818
'The Builder' in 28th July, (1858), 354,355
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 140

End of official listing