ORIGINAL WORKHOUSE BLOCK AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1113159
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
ORIGINAL WORKHOUSE BLOCK AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, NEW END

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORIGINAL WORKHOUSE BLOCK AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 03:34:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORIGINAL WORKHOUSE BLOCK AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, NEW END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26458 85985

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW NEW END 798-1/26/1191 Original Workhouse Block at former 18/03/88 New End Hospital and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: NEW END Original 14 bay block of New End Hospital)

GV II

Hampstead parish workhouse, later hospital. 1849. Designed by HE Kendall Jnr. Converted for residential use 1996-98, John Thompson Associates, architects. Brick with stucco dressings and quoins. 3 storeys with projecting 2 storey end pavilions. Symmetrical composition of 14 main bays. Central 4 bays project; central round-arched entrance with keystone and pilasters supporting a cornice, which continues across the front of the buildings, and scroll pediment. Segmental headed sashes with stucco hoods and keystones. Projecting cornice with paired brackets; central bays with pediment containing an oculus with stucco scroll design surround. End pavilions with groups of 3 similar windows at 1st floor level, the centre window taller and surmounted by a ball. Open pediments. Rear elevation, in similar style, of interest. INTERIOR: plain. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas. HISTORICAL NOTE: the workhouse was turned over wholly to hospital use in 1915 and, until its closure in 1987 was used as a general, and finally as a geriatric, hospital. The former workhouse block forms a notable group with the New End Hospital Circular Ward & attached Water Tower (qv), the Boilerhouse Chimney (qv) and the Infirmary Block (qv), which together demonstrate the history of Poor Law provision for the sick and elderly through the nineteenth century.





Listing NGR: TQ2645885984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477583
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].