This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113163



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477587

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2685NE NEW END SQUARE 798-1/27/1199 (North East side) 11/08/50 Nos.17 AND 19 Burgh House


Detached house. c1703-4 for Henry and Hannah Sewell, enlarged to rear c1720 for Dr William Gibbons and with single-storey music room to side c1925 for Captain Constantine Benson. Brown brick with red brick dressings and some later patching. Hipped tiled roofs. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and semi-basement. Main (south-east) front: symmetrical 5 window frontage. Reinstated wood modillion cornice. Patched red brick bands between storeys. Central doorway with C20 cornice-hood carried by pilasters and wrought-iron brackets; patterned fanlight and panelled door approached by steps with early C19 cast-iron railings. Slightly recessed sashes with later C18 stucco surrounds; ground and 1st floor have cambered arch heads. Extension to left with similar sashes. Rear (north-west) elevation: 5 window frontage with projecting wings each having 1 blind window with 3 window returns. Red brick bands between storeys. Gauged red brick segmental-arched windows with red brick dressings; 1st and 2nd floor have arched central windows to staircase. INTERIOR: with fully panelled rooms, carved and moulded box cornices, dadoes and some original fireplaces. Symmetrical plan to rear of enlarged entrance hall, with central stair flanked by rooms to either side with rear closets. The first floor similarly symmetrical with central corridor over entrance. Good C18 staircase. Ground floor rear library retains some mouldings 1884-97 installed by Grylls family (stained glass artists). Other rear room with fluted pilaster strips. Music room in 3-bay addition to left with panelling said to come from Weatherall House, formerly adjoining, and before that from the Long Room of nearby Spa. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1720s occupied by the Spa physician William Gibbons whose initials are on the wrought-iron gates (qv). c1858-1881, it was used as the headquarters and Officers' Mess of the Royal East Middlesex Militia. Following World War II it became a Council community centre and in 1979 was leased to the Burgh House Trust who run it as a meeting place, exhibition centre and local history museum.

Listing NGR: TQ2660685947

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26606 85947


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 06:28:39.

End of official listing