JAMES SMITH AND SONS, HAZELWOOD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113171
Date first listed:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
JAMES SMITH AND SONS, HAZELWOOD HOUSE, 53, NEW OXFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of JAMES SMITH AND SONS, HAZELWOOD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 16:04:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
JAMES SMITH AND SONS, HAZELWOOD HOUSE, 53, NEW OXFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30081 81432

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081SW NEW OXFORD STREET 798-1/105/1206 (South side) No.53 James Smith and Sons, Hazelwood House

GV II*

Shop with offices/workshop over on a corner site. Mid C19. Erected as part of the laying out of New Oxford Street under the supervision of Sir James Pennethorne, Surveyor of Works to the Crown. Stucco, channelled to 1st floor, 2nd & 3rd floor with long and short quoins which continue on corner as channelled stucco; 2nd floor, guilloche enriched band. Slate mansard roof with dormers. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. 5 windows, single window corner and single window right hand return. Fine ground floor shopfront, c1870s, mahogany with plate glass windows having inscribed painted glass battered stallboards, with brass fascia plates, and top panels. Battered cornice fascia of painted glass inscribed "Established 1830" above entrance, flanked by "James Smith & Sons"; surmounted by cast-iron trefoil pattern cresting with central painted glass pediment inscribed "Hazelwood House" flanked by numbers "53". Central recessed entrance surrounded by panels of inscribed painted and engraved glass, that above with 2 crossed flags; double part-glazed panelled doors with wrought-iron guard gates. Office door to left; panelled with overlight. 1st floor has recessed sashes. 2nd floor with pilasters, paired to central bay, supporting a 3rd floor cornice. Pilasters flank tall round-arched sashes, architraved with mask keystones above impost bands, and balustraded window guards; central window of Venetian type. 3rd floor pilaster strips flank square-headed sashes; central window flanked by recessed panels and paired pilaster strips. Simplified entablature and blocking course. Relief applied lettering to upper floors reading on entablature "STICKS", 3rd floor "JAS. SMITH & SONS", 2nd floor "UMBRELLAS". Chamfered corner continues window with inscribed glass pediment to ground floor; upper floors with channelled stucco and square-headed sashes in front of which applied lettering reading "UMBRELLAS". Single window return similar to the central bay. INTERIOR: of ground floor has showcases and counters of a typical high-class late Victorian or Edwardian shop and as such is a rare survival in London. HISTORICAL NOTE: since 1867 the ground floor of the building



has been occupied by the firm of James Smith & Sons, umbrellas makers. New Oxford Street was a very fashionable shopping street in the mid C19.







Listing NGR: TQ3008181432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477595
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/14415/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Vlasta Rousalova. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].