This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CUXHAM CHURCH HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CUXHAM CHURCH HALL

List entry Number: 1113182

Location

CUXHAM CHURCH HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cuxham with Easington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477607

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 6695 CUXHAM WITH EASTINGHAM CUXHAM

1696/12/10004 Cuxham Church Hall

GV II

National school, now church/village hall. Circa 1850, additions of 1911 and 1960s. Red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond; biscuit-coloured brick dressings. Terracotta spade-shaped tiles and plain tiles to roofs. Brick chimneys. Single storey. Three bays with central gabled porch; 4th bay added on left 1911; two flat-roofed additions to rear 19605. Plinth. Porch has chamfered pointed-arched entrance; terracotta kneelers, verges and finial; plain-tile roof; and tile floor. Windows of paired trefoil-headed lights with iron saddle bars and diagonally-leaded glazing. Spade-shaped tiles and roll-moulded ridge to original; plain tiles to extension. Returns each have a similar window of 3 stepped lights with transom and central casement; and decorative iron grille to gable. REAR: two external stacks, that on right added, with dentilled cornices and diagonally-set flues. INTERIOR: bricked-up rear-wall fireplace at centre of original part; added bolection-moulded fireplace. Corbelled roof trusses. The roof members of the original part (principal rafters, common rafters, purlins and ridge-piece) are formed of flat iron bars sandwiched by terracotta blocks, and the spade-shaped tiles are bedded onto plain tiles. Former partition divided the building into 2 + 2 bays, and the continuation of this is visible in the roof space, comprising a pointed-arched wooden window with mullions and transom. A well-preserved mid-C19 national school with an unusual form of roof construction. Source leaflet on Cuxham Village Hall.

Listing NGR: SU6667295229

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 66676 95227

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:47:57.

End of official listing