This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JACK STRAWS CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JACK STRAWS CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1113189

Location

JACK STRAWS CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE, NORTH END WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477614

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2686SW NORTH END WAY 798-1/16/1220 (West side) 14/05/74 Jack Straw's Castle Public House

II

Public house. 1962-64. By Raymond Erith, built by GE Wallis and Sons; on the site of a previous public house of the same name. Timber-framed construction on brick plinth, clad with painted weatherboarding. Tiled double hipped roofs. STYLE: in the style of an C18 coaching inn. PLAN: open sided courtyard plan with single storey staff accommodation block and garages forming south wing. EXTERIOR: long principal elevation of 3 storeys and cellars. Upper floors with continuous ranges of 20 sashes each, 2nd floor having pointed Gothick lights. Ground floor has vehicle entrance to courtyard to left, sashes and 4 canted bay windows; left hand pair flanks entrance with overlight and sash to right, right hand pair flanks entrance with overlight and sidelights. Single windows to right hand bay indicate interior stair. Projecting bracketed cornice and wooden crenellated parapet. North return with single storey entrance projection and 4 storey tower (contains lift); similar tower at south-west corner of courtyard containing water tanks. Attached to west facade of north wing and facing into courtyard, a single storey projection having an ogee arch with finials to panelled niche with fitted bench seat. Rear with similar fenestration to principal elevation on upper floors but ground floor having pantiled gallery and 2nd floor with continuous cast-iron balcony with tented hood. INTERIOR: with exposed Douglas fir stanchions and beams bolted at angles with iron plates. Ground floor with continuous tongue and groove pine-panelled bar having fireplaces at either end and to the side bar, these with Erith's initials in the grate. Dog-leg stair with panelled dado, square newels, closed string and fretwork balusters leads to function room, restaurant, and tower bar, all with panelling, the second-floor restaurant with high fixed leather-upholstered benches and tables, the adjoining tower bar with bar counter and fixed pine seating - all part of Erith's concept. HISTORICAL NOTE: the present building replaced an early C18 public house (not in the same style) altered in the early C19 and bombed in the Second World War; the name commemorates Jack Straw, Wat Tyler's second-in-command during the Peasants' Revolt of 1381, who is said to have had a camp here.



(Archer L: Raymond Erith, Architect: Burford, Oxon: -1985: 88, 167; The Builder: 29 May 1964: London: 1119-23).



Listing NGR: TQ2624486447

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Archer, L, Raymond Erith Architect , (1985), 88,167
'The Builder' in 29th May, (1964), 1119-1123

National Grid Reference: TQ 26244 86447

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:42:51.

End of official listing