This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

QUEEN MARY HALL AND YWCA CENTRAL CLUB AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: QUEEN MARY HALL AND YWCA CENTRAL CLUB AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1113221

Location

QUEEN MARY HALL AND YWCA CENTRAL CLUB AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 16 TO 22, GREAT RUSSELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981SE GREAT RUSSELL STREET 798-1/104/683 (South side) 14/05/74 Nos.16-22 (Consecutive) Queen Mary Hall and YWCA Central Club and attached railings

GV II

YWCA residential club. 1928-32. By Sir Edwin Lutyens. For the Young Women's Christian Association. Brown brick & stone under a slated hipped roof with dormers. 4 storeys, attic and basement. 7 windows with 13-window return; the 3-window bays at each end of the return form projecting wings. Symmetrical facade and return in Neo-Georgian style. Gauged flat brick arches with stone keystones to flush framed sash windows (32-pane on ground & 1st floor, 16 on 2nd & 3rd). Main central entrance with stone doorcase comprising Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature with open segmental pediment dated 1932, above which a stone dressed window with triangular pediment. Doorway approached by double flight of steps with wrought-iron balustrade. Stone cornice. Subsidiary entrance on return with stone doorcase with brick banded pilasters. Angel head keystone to window above. INTERIOR: original features survive of a functional nature. 1st floor double storey concert hall. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron railings to areas.







Listing NGR: TQ2991381464

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29913 81464

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 07:51:32.

End of official listing