This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PIANO FACTORY BUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PIANO FACTORY BUILDING

List entry Number: 1113237

Location

PIANO FACTORY BUILDING, OVAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883NE OVAL ROAD 798-1/76/1259 (East side) 23/05/89 Piano Factory Building

GV II

Piano factory, now offices. 1852. By Thomas and William Piper. For piano manufacturers Messrs Collard and Collard. English bond yellow stock brick; roof not visible. Circular plan. EXTERIOR: 5 storeys. 22 bays, each bay divided by raised pilaster continued to moulded stucco entablature and gablet projecting beyond splayed stucco cornice. Stucco pilasters flank segmental-arched 1st floor doorway. Segmental brick arches over wood and iron casements. Rectangular addition, dating from before 1868 and housing staircase to rear. INTERIOR: cast-iron columns and beams to vaulted brick ceilings; cast-iron columns, each with moulded plinth and capital, surround blocked-in central well; iron king post trusses radiate from central well; addition houses open-well staircase with simple iron balustrade and cantilevered stone treads, and has stone flag flooring. HISTORICAL NOTE: the open well was used for moving the pianos from floor to floor, with a former hoist, during the manufacturing process. The lowest floor was used for drying, the next for upright pianos, the second floor for cleaning, the third for polishing the cases and those above for "belly" manufacture and finishing off. Collard and Collard were the oldest of the well-known piano manufacturing firms of the St Pancras area, having patented a form of upright "square" piano in 1811. This building replaced a similarly shaped one which was destroyed by fire a year after it was built in 1851.







Listing NGR: TQ2858083916

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28580 83916

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:27:19.

End of official listing