Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113243

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1976

Statutory Address: 26, PANCRAS ROAD


Ordnance survey map of 26, PANCRAS ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 06:58:30.


Statutory Address: 26, PANCRAS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30114 83152


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3083SW PANCRAS ROAD 798-1/85/1265 (East side) 30/01/76 No.26


Gymnasium and library, now offices & gymnasium. 1864-65. By Edward Gruning. For the German Gymnastic Society. Built by Piper and Wheeler. Multi-coloured stock brick. Rectangular plan with narrow, slightly projecting entrance frontage to Pancras Road. EXTERIOR: frontage 3 storeys 1 window. Stucco door surround of pilasters supporting a dentil entablature with segmental pediment. Round-arched doorway pilaster jambs supporting an architrave with keystone; fanlight and C20 panelled doors with small lights. 1st floor, recessed 4-pane sash with stuccoed lintel with mask; 2nd floor, round-arched 4-pane sash with stuccoed head. Moulded brick cornice and blocking course. North and south elevations with brick pilasters dividing bays (rectangular windows), 1st floor brick bands and deep Lombard frieze at eaves level; brick gables. Hipped roof with continuous lantern along the ridge. Gabled east elevation with gabled brick porch, 5 pointed arch windows above which an oculus, very deep Lombard frieze and enriched brick cornice. To the left, a staircase tower with narrow lights (those at base bricked up) and Lombard frieze. INTERIOR: narrow entrance hall with Imperial stair (2 flights then 1) the entire width of the hall. Gymnasium a single cell subdivided into nave and aisles by 2 storeys of cast-iron piers with lush early English foliage capitals. The piers support arched, laminated wood roof trusses some 20m wide, as experimented with but replaced at King's Cross Station, Euston Road (qv). A second floor has been inserted at gallery level providing office accommodation. An important early example of the use of laminated timber to give broad spans.

Listing NGR: TQ3011483152


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477693

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing