TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113252

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1999

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113252 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:52:59.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 73857 06111

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 70 NW, 1664/9/100016

FARNWORTH, Town Hall

GV

II

Town Hall. 1909, with late C20 alternations and extension. By Bradshaw and Gass, architects, of Bolton for the Farnworth Urban District Council. Smooth red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings, central cupola and hipped roof with a slate covering. Free Classical style. FRONT (south-west) ELEVATION: symmetrical composition of 2 storeys, with advanced pedimented entrance of 3 bays and set-back 3-bay flanking ranges, extended on the left-hand side by a C20 single bay addition, itself set back. Entrance doorway enclosed by semi-circular open porch accessed from a flight of steps. The porch is set against an ashlar V-jointed masonry panel incorporating the entrance doorway, and above the porch a 3-light mullioned window flanked by single-light openings. Above the window, and set within a broad pediment, a Diocletian window with flanking ashlar pilasters. The attenuated keystone to the central window links with carved enrichments of the band course above. V-jointed pilasters to corners, and tripartite windows with glazing bar sashes to each side of the porch. Brick flanking ranges with 2-light windows with paired glazing bar sashes to each bay, set between shallow pilasters. The centre bay to each range is capped by a segmental pediment, rising from a moulded cornice. Below the pediment on the left hand side, a carved stone panel with the District Council's Coat of Arms. Set back later C20 single bay extension replicates the detail of the main range. INTERIOR: much late C20 remodelling, but with double return principal staircase at end of entrance hall with stone stairs and moulded stone balusters and handrail. massive ground floor terminal piers with scrolled buttresses and late C20 lamp fittings capping the piers. Stair window with contemporary stained glass, including the Coat of Arms, and other heraldic motifs. Former council chamber to first floor has lost its furniture, but retains rectangular wall panelling, double doorways with segmental pediments as door heads, and panelled wall screen to former dais with broken segmental pediment above frieze bearing the Coat of Arms. The Town Hall forms part of a notable early C20 civic ensemble designed for the Urban District Council of Bradshaw and Gass. It forms a group with the Library (item 8/10017) and the Baptist Church (item 8/1001 S)



Listing NGR: SD7385706111

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477729

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing