This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN, INCLUDING ATTACHED CARTSHED AND STABLE, AT HOLMBUSH FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN, INCLUDING ATTACHED CARTSHED AND STABLE, AT HOLMBUSH FARM

List entry Number: 1113314

Location

BARN, INCLUDING ATTACHED CARTSHED AND STABLE, AT HOLMBUSH FARM, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hellingly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473485

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 51 SE HELLINGLY NORTH STREET

12/10036 Barn, including attached cartshed and stable at Holmbush Farm

II

Threshing barn with attached cartshed and stable. Barn circa 1600, cartshed early Cl9 and stable dated 1847. Barn is timber framed, clad in weatherboarding, replaced in many places by corrugated iron, on brick plinth with hipped roof now covered in corrugated iron. Central cart entrance with double doors. INTERIOR: 5 bays. Wall frame has midrail and two curved windbraces to each bay, 5 remain on one side, 5 on the other and two at one end. The other end has lost the subsidiary framing. Jowled upright posts with curved windbraces and unusual roof construction with twin butt purlins and raking queen struts to the principal rafters. Attached to the north is an early C19 open fronted cartshed of brick in Sussex bond and some original weatherboarding remains on the north side of the barn. Attached to the north east side is a stable dated 1847 with the name "I Dann", partly of sandstone and partly stretcher bond brickwork, the interior retaining central stall partition and feeding troughs. Rape of Hastings Architectural Survey mentions only three other barns with the same roof construction as this barn. SOURCE: David and Barbara Martin "Historic Buildings in Eastern Sussex Vol 3 pp.128-132.



Listing NGR: TQ5830713545

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Martin, D, Historic Buildings in Eastern Sussex128-132

National Grid Reference: TQ 58307 13545

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:38:47.

End of official listing