This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WESLEY HOUSE, WITH STEPS AND WALLS TO FRONT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESLEY HOUSE, WITH STEPS AND WALLS TO FRONT

List entry Number: 1113328

Location

WESLEY HOUSE, WITH STEPS AND WALLS TO FRONT, BULL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473526

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ1656NW LEATHERHEAD BULL HILL (East side) 1293/9/10003 Wesley House, with steps and walls to front II Former offices of Leatherhead Urban District Council, with approach steps and walls to front. 1935 by C H Rose and H R Gardner. Red brick with grey brick dressings and pilasters; stone architraves and chenage to end bays. Rendered rear elevation. Pantiled hipped roof with end stacks and central copper fleche in Scandinavian style. Two storeys and attic on prominent hillside site, with central entrance and stairs flanked by a suite of offices on either side, and semi-circular council chamber to rear with public gallery beyond entered via modest public entrance at the very back of the building. The main elevation is a prominent classical composition of nine bays, with central round-headed window to staircase under pediment and flanked by rusticated pilasters. The fenestration has been renewed in uPVC and is not itself of special interest, although it respects the pattern of the original glazing. The first floor windows at either end set in stone moulded architrave surrounds with console brackets under swan-necked pediments inset into which are tiny attic windows. Similar tiny attic windows the length of the facade, above stone cornice and a band that links the top of the windows. Double panelled doors reached up flight of brick steps, with brick walls ofred and grey brick to front completing the formal composition. Central fleche with delicate glazing bars (original) and weathervane set on attenuated knop. Side elevations in similar style but with round-headed dormers; the rear elevation more simple. Projecting single-storey council chamber with double doors at rear for admittance to public gallery .Late C20 single-storey extension at side not of special interest. Interior has two major spaces of special interest. Entrance hall with landing over gives on to imperial staircase of terrazzo and with terrazzo-clad walls and balustrading, with art deco style metal balustrading to landings. Memorial to the past chairmen of Leatherhead District Council incorporating pair of Atlantes and large overmantel, surmounted by more lithe figures and pediment. Plaques to the War Savings Campaign of 1943 and 1944, presented by the War Office. Council chamber entered off half landing survives completely, with fine fixed furniture, including curved leather-covered benches for members with inlay details and built in rest with ink wells; higher bench for the council members similarly treated in front of panelled wall incorporating emblem. Decorated grilles over panelled double doors with lozenge lights filled with reeded glass and original door fixtures. Trabeated ceiling with original hanging light fixture. To rear simple benches behind low fixed timber barrier for the public and press. Members room to side has glass brick opening giving light on to corridor. Included as a small but prominent example of a town hall; a 1930's town hall of this scale is rare. Though the fenestration has been altered, the council chamber and staircase are fine and complete examples with good original details.



Listing NGR: TQ1647156606

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 16471 56606

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:58:39.

End of official listing