Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113333

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 20:40:27.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SX4721757862


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SX4757NW HONICKNOWLE LANE, Pennycross 740-1/27/343 (West side (off)) 25/01/54 Church of St Pancras (Formerly Listed as: PENNYCROSS Church of St Pancras)


Manorial chapel, later a parish church. Part of chancel 1482 on possibly earlier site, otherwise extended and rebuilt in 1820, using the original stone, and altered in 1870; parish created 1898; W end damaged in 1939; choir stalls and pulpit removed 1974. Slatestone rubble with freestone dressings; dry slate roofs laid to diminishing courses; weathered buttressed bellcote over the coped gable of the W end and rubble lateral stack in the angle between the west end and the N transept. STYLE: Gothic. PLAN: cruciform plan plus NE chapel and N porch at the W end. Chancel was extended eastwards in 1820 so that only parts of the N and S walls of the chancel survive from the original building. EXTERIOR: 3-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds and relieving arches to E of chancel and to N and S of transepts; similar 2-light windows to side walls of transepts, but to W wall only of S transept, probably all 1870 but in the style of the 1820 windows; leaded glazing. 4-centred arched S doorway to W end with 2 trefoils above and gallery access doorway high up on the left. Gable-ended N porch probably 1870 with 4-centred arched doorway with hoodmould; trefoil vent to gable and flat-roofed bays set back at left and right with blind trefoil-headed windows. There is a piece of marble from St Paul's Cathedral built into the S wall of the chancel (Power). INTERIOR: plastered walls; painted moulded barrel ceilings except for ribbed vault to chancel extension; gallery to W end. FITTINGS: C15 (1482 Power) octagonal painted stone font with shields and cinquefoil-arched panels, brought from Church of St Budeaux in 1820; painted creed to N wall of chancel and there is a tablet of charities for tything reused from the old chapel, near the N doorway. MONUMENTS: many C19 wall monuments and some resited from the old chapel including: marble monument with pediment to Thomas Were who died 1736 aged 59; marble and slate monument to Ann Trelawny 1696-17.. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:

645; Groves R: The Story of Pennycross: Plymouth: 1964-; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches: 1977-: 84).

Listing NGR: SX4721757862


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473532

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Groves, R , The Story of Pennycross Plymouth, (1964)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 645
Power, W J , A Laymans View of Some Plymouth Churches, (1977), 84

End of official listing