Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113355

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1959



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113355 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:07:41.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton

National Grid Reference: TQ 88785 89231


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SUTTON SUTTON ROAD TQ 88 NE 11/320 Church of All Saints 27.7.59 II* Parish Church. Early C17 chancel and nave. C14/C15 bell turret. Date on south porch 1633. Circa 1869 and later repairs and restorations. Ragstone rubble, Reigate and Barnack stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, cedar shingles to bell turret and spirelet. Chancel 3 C19 lancet windows, labels over to east wall, angle buttresses. North wall lancet window, label over, Cl2 rear splays. South wall, 2 restored lancet windows labels over, that to west taller, the east window with C12 rear splay. To the east is a blocked partly restored C13 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. Nave, north wall, eastern C19 window of 3 trefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and label with stops, western C12 restored round headed window. C12 rounded headed north doorway, C15/C16 door of 4 nailed overlapping boards, one strap-hinge. Heavy oak cill. The doorway is now disused and forms a cupboard. Electricity metres have been fixed to the inner face. Stone quoins to angles. Wrought iron crosses to gable apices. West wall C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights tracery over, 2-centred arch, moulded label with foliate stops. Below this window the stonework suggests a blocked doorway. South wall. Eastern C19 window of 3 trefoiled lights tracery over, 2-centred arch, label with stops, western C12 round headed window. South porch gabled and plastered. The moulded, square headed wooden doorway with sunk spandrels dated 1633, guilloche pattern lintel over, round door arch with key block. Cl9 barge boards to gable. C20 outer doors. Wrought iron cross to gable apex. Internally the roof is boarded, the side walls each have blocked windows of turned balusters, possibly former altar rails. Below the windows the walls are lined with C17 panelling, partly fluted and partly plain frieze, names cut on west side Charles Hobson 1647, Samuel Purchas 1647 and ...ard Britridge 1647. South doorway C13 2-centred arch of 3 moulded orders, moulded jambs of 3 orders have each one attached and 2 free shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Interior:- Chancel:- C15 roof of 7 cants, square section 4 armed crown post on central tie beam. Moulded wall plate. C19 coloured tiled floor. C19 stained glass to windows. Altar rails, turned balusters to possibly older top rails. C19 east window with capitals and bases to jamb shafts. Brass floor slab to south, from Shopland Church, of Thomas Stapel, 1371, Serjeant-at-arms, in armour with sword,pointed bascinet, comail etc., knee-cops and legs below missing, indents of marginal inscriptions, crocketed canopy and shields. 2 floor slabs, Sarah Nott 1753 and Mary Scratton 1830-1877. Blocked 2-centred arch to south wall; memorial to C. Tyrell MDCXCV over. Small bible box from Shopland Church. Medieval painting on splays of north wall C12 window. Alabaster and coloured marble wall monument, mourning woman, urn and willow 1771, Chester Moor Hall of Sutton Hall, the maker of the first achromatic telescope. Black and white wall monument to John White of Rochford 1797. Aumbry with chamfered 2-centred head. Medieval painting to C12 round headed chancel arch of 2 orders on the west face, the inner plain the outer roll moulded, the responds each have a flat half round attached shaft with moulded bases and restored capitals, moulded abaci carried around the imposts. Nave. Simple stage octagonal pulpit. C15 seven cant roof of 3 bays, moulded wall plates, 4 armed crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. C14/C15 timber bell turret at west end of nave with 4 outer and 4 inner posts, arched braces to lower and upper portal-frames. South door of a rare type, only 5 are known in Essex, assembled with counter-rebates, its top and base seem to have been cut off, similar doors are at Castle Hedingham and Elmstead Churches. This door was faced to south 1869. Said to be one bell by John Clifton 1638. 2 hatchments. One coat of arms. Circa 1817 organ from Shopland Church, by Gray, one row of pipes revoiced 1850. C13 font, square with 5 narrow 2-centred arches to each face, C19/C20 central and angle shafts with moulded capitals and bases, square base, octagonal plinth and floor slab. Poor box with end bands, barrel interior lid. North wall monument to Lt Wm Burchell killed on the ship Royal Oak at Chesapeke, 9 August 1814. C A Hewett 'Church Carpentry' 1974. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8878589231


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123293

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982)

End of official listing