This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEECH HOUSE, OAK HOUSE AND LINDEN HOUSE AT UPTON HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEECH HOUSE, OAK HOUSE AND LINDEN HOUSE AT UPTON HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1113371

Location

BEECH HOUSE, OAK HOUSE AND LINDEN HOUSE AT UPTON HOSPITAL, ALBERT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Slough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 97 NE SLOUGH ALBERT STREET (north side)

4/6 Beech House, Oak House, And Linden House At Upton Hospital (SU 9776 7942)

II

Union Workhouse, now hospital 1835-6, by Sampson Kempthorne. Stock brick, rendered ground floor to south with banded rustication, and hipped slate roofs. Cruciform plan with central octagonal staircase block, and 3 storey block to south with lower flanking wings. South front: 3 storeys with cill bands and deep eaves. 5 bays with glazing bar sashes, those on first floor with blind hoods. Central half glazed door with triangular pedimented hood on brackets. Flanking 2 storey one bay wings. Later flanking one storey wings slightly set back with louvred clerestorys, scattered glazing bar sashes and half glazed doors. The Mrs. Sinkins Pink was first raised here circa 1880 by the Master of the workhouse and named after his wife, the Matron. B.O.E, (Bucks, p.238; The History Of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp. 115-6; The Story Of Slough, Judith Hunter, Local Heritage Books, 1983, pp.58-60.

Listing NGR: SU9777079448

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960), 238

National Grid Reference: SU 97770 79448

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:21:18.

End of official listing