CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113376

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 16:22:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Slough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 96684 79569

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 97 NE SLOUGH CHURCH STREET (south side)

CHALVEY

4/1 Church Of St. Peter 29.9.50 II*

Church. 1860-1, by G.E. Street in a neo-Gothic style. Knapped flint with stone dressings and red brick lacing courses. Tiled roofs with change of pitch over aisle. Nave, north aisle, north porch, chancel, and vestry. Angle and clasping buttresses, cill string to east, parapeted gable ends, and bellcote to west with 2 trefoil arched openings. North aisle: 4 trefoil headed lancets to left; doorway to right with chamfered arch, moulded imposts, and 2 boarded doors. Gabled north porch with moulded arch and two C20 wrought iron gates. Chancel; north side: trefoil headed window to left; lean-to vestry to right with 2 trefoil headed lights to east and segmental arched boarded door to north. South side: two 2-light windows with Y-tracery. East end: large quatrefoiled circular window in arched recess with 2 smaller quatrefoils flanking below. Nave; south side: 2-light window to left and 3-light window to right with trefoiled tracery. West front: large 4-light window with foiled plate tracery and hoodmould with carved stops. 2-trefoil headed lights in aisle to left. Interior: 4 bay north aisle arcade with circular piers, foliated capitals and chamfered arches with nailhead decoration. Chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould and carved stops. Nook shafted east window with nailhead decoration. Fittings include; semi circular stone pulpit with foliated frieze, and arcaded square font. Glass by Kempe. V.C.H. (Bucks), Vol.3, p.317; B.0.E, Buckinghamshire, p.237; The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp.38-9.



Listing NGR: SU9668479569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38708

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maxwell, F, The History of Slough, (1973), 38-9
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 317
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960)

End of official listing