This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1113402

Location

MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS, BLAGRAVE STREET
MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS, THE FORBURY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1978

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38768

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLAGRAVE STREET 1. 5128 Municipal Buildings (Formerly listed as Old Abbey Buildings) SU 7173 NE 1/29 22.3.57. II GV 2. The Hospice on site of St John's Hospice and Grammar School was built in 1486 and may incorporate some of the earlier building (founded 1196). Turned into Grammar School. "Restored" by Slingsby Stallwood for the University. 2 1/2 storeys. Flint with ashlar quoins, dressings and random blocks. Old tiled roofs with large (1892) skylights and dormers. South front 2+2+1+2 bays - the single bay a projecting gabled break with 1892 single storey corridor wings flanking it in matching style. 2 original corbelled chimneys on eaves. Small square headed 2 light 4 centre arch headed lights mostly inserted during restoration. To north, chamfered string over ground floor. Polygonal and parapetted stair turret off centre left with external chimney to right. Small square headed windows, similar to south side, on 1st floor, 2 to the left and 1+4 to the right of the turret. Ground floor windows much larger with transoms. Single storey lobby extension to north-east. Interior: the Tudor arch fireplace, aumbry and panelled room mentioned in the VCH perhaps circa 1892.



Listing NGR: SU7171673610

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 71716 73610

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:54:57.

End of official listing