Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113427.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:58:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71334 73246


CASTLE STREET 1. 5128 (North Side) Church of St Mary (Formerly listed as Chapel of St Mary) SU 7173 SW 2/72 22.3.57. II* GV 2. Opened 1798. (Episcopalian). Architect R Billing. Originally a simple Georgian building but in 1840 the present hexastyle portico in Greek Corinthian style (fluted columns) was added to the designs of "Mr Briant" (Henry and Nathaniel Briant were prominent local architect/builders, responsible for the King Street Bank and the Royal Berkshire Hospital). Stucco with large stone pedimented portico (whose capitals probably are of Coade stone). 3 stepped doorways with architrave surrounds. The bell turret (designed by Briant and inspired from the Tower of the Winds) is now only a solid plinth with rebated corners and moulded cornice. 5 bay rave with round headed windows. This building which stands on the site of the former Reading gaol is of considerable importance to the street, One of Reading's best church interiors: late C18 galleried in 5 bays with marbled Doric ground floor and Ionic gallery columns. Modillion cornice to coved central ceiling. Raised and fielded panelling to box piers. Small projecting chancel with bay for mid C19 organ to left. 2 mid C19 cast-iron chandeliers.

Listing NGR: SU7133173259


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04981/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].