NOS 154 TO 160 (EVEN) AND RAILINGS TO STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113431

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Statutory Address: NOS 154 TO 160 (EVEN) AND RAILINGS TO STREET, 154-160, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOS 154 TO 160 (EVEN) AND RAILINGS TO STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113431 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 07:04:16.

Location

Statutory Address: NOS 154 TO 160 (EVEN) AND RAILINGS TO STREET, 154-160, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 70859 73015

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE STREET 1. 5128 (North Side) Castle Hill Nos 154 to 160 (even) and railings to street SU 7073 12/41 SU 7072 13/41 22.3.57. II* GV 2. Former King's Arms Inn. A group of buildings with C18 fronts on 3 sides of a court. 2 storey centre block, stucco with moulded cornice, parapet and mansard slate roof with brick chimneys. 2 fluted conical lead rainwater heads. 11 windows on 1st floor, 6 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes mostly. 2 doors with small Doric porches (No 156: columns replaced by plain uprights). 6 panel doors. No 156 now half-glazed. No 158, upper 2 panels glazed. A further side door to left with trellis porch. Left hand wing (No 160): 2 storeys and attic. Stucco. Old tile roof, partly mansard. End facing street has 2 storey bow with 3 cross glazed sash windows and balcony to terrace in front of attic window. Arched door to right with fanlight and reeded pilaster surround. Right hand wing (no 154): Similar to No 160 (a later addition however) of colour- washed brick with stone balustrade at 2nd floor level. Tarred tile hipped mansard roof. Plate glass sash windows. Entered from left hand in tented triangular headed porch. C18 spearhead rails with urns on standards facing street, the gates have braced upper rail, dog-rails and box-panels standards. Interior of No 154: late C18 staircase, the 1st floor bow window room is circa 1790s, has marble fireplace surround, some good cornices and fine doorcases with Adam-type friezes. Interior of No 158 very interesting with a good coved ceiling and panelled room on the 1st floor and an C18 stair with turned balusters and straight string. The building was an 'L' block (Nos 158 and 160) in 1734 and had developed by 1796, when it was occupied by 200 exiled French priests quartered in Reading, (1) into its present plan with covered colonnades to north and west sides of the court, the west side with a corridor above the colonnade. (1) (Sources: Catholic Record Society Vol LXXXVI (1932)).

Listing NGR: SU7086273016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38831

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Catholic Record Society Annual Report' in Catholic Record Society Annual Report, , Vol. 86, (1932)

End of official listing