This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1113441

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38852

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHRISTCHURCH ROAD 1. 5128 (South Side) Christ Church SU 7272 9/440 II* 2. Church of England 1861-2 by Henry Woodyer. Enlarged 1874. An extremely good and large High Victorian Church and one of Reading's landmarks. Early English style. North-west tower porch capped by steeple. Built in coursed Pennant rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Tiled roofs. 6 bay aisled nave and lower 3 bay chancel. Latter has later vestry (as north transept externally with arcaded string, pointed doorway and plate tracery occulus). 1874 south chapel. Nave clerestory consists of small foiled lancets set in a bold ashlar blind traceried arcade. Aisle windows also cusped, divided by buttresses. Geometric tracery window to chancel and 5 light decorated-style east window. Tower and steeple are the main features, completed 1875 (though carving unfinished). 3 stage tower with angle buttresses with stepped plinth and various set offs, capped by diagonal pinnacles taking fliers to steeple. Gargoyles and unfinished decoration to parapet. Total height to top of steeple 164 ft. Uncarved crockets to south porch. Interior. ruin feature is the chancel arch whose upper part is filled with reticulated tracery (said to represent the Veil of the Temple ). Arcade has Purbeck shafts and gablets to capitals which have large naturalistic flowers. cusped rere-arches to clerestory. Queen post roof with wind braces. Collar purlin roof with scissor braces in chancel. Pulpit, also probably by Woodyer, in 2 stages. Low flint wall about 4 ft high and with chamfered capping to street. The church was originally planned as a 'chapel of ease' for St Giles', to cope with an expanding parish. Woodyer's school in Basingstoke Road (qv St Paul's School) was used until Christ Church was ready.

Listing NGR: SU7221272175

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 72212 72175

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:53:21.

End of official listing