This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HEADMASTER'S LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEADMASTER'S LODGE

List entry Number: 1113460

Location

HEADMASTER'S LODGE, 17, CRAVEN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38895

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/05/2015

SU 7272 9/457

CRAVEN ROAD No 17 (Headmaster's Lodge)

II Headmaster's lodge for Reading School. Built 1840 as Penrhyn Lodge at the junction of King's Road and Queen's Road by Henry Briant. Moved to Craven Road probably 1878, architect Joshua Greenaway. Assymmetrical detached villa. 2 storeys, coursed dressed stone. 3 bays, mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds. Slate roof with lozenge bands. Corbels to parapet continued up 3 gables to west - the left hand gable breaks forward; the centre gable is small for a badge and a projecting gabled porch with chamfered shafted corners; the right hand gable has parapetted angled bay. Lower 2 storey extension with gabled return to left. South front has oriel on grotesque corbel and has head stops to 1st floor right hand window. Steps to east entrance with carved eagle on top of flight.

Listing NGR: SU7259872805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 72598 72805

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:42:17.

End of official listing