CHURCH OF ST JAMES'

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113480

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES', FORBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES'
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 18:24:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES', FORBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 71992 73629

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORBURY ROAD 1. 5128 (South side) Church of St James' SU 7173 NE 1/2 SU 7273 7/2 22.3.57. II GV 2. Roman Catholic 1837-40 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Untypical Norman style. Much altered 1925 by W C Mangan (south aisle and apse ambulatory), and 1962 by Bingham Towner (north aisle). Flint with ashlar dressings. Roman tile roof. Coped gables with footstones. Belfry to west. Round headed clerestory with continuous impost string. 5 bays. Dividing and corner buttresses. West front has oculus at top, large round headed window with flanking blind arcade. Projecting porch with centre break and angled corners, round headed doorway with 2 orders, of chevron. 3 apses to east, centre with ambulatory. 3 bay south aisle with 6 bay double arcade inside. North-east pier has fragment of beaded C12 carving. INTERIOR: wooden roof, vaulted apse. C12 interlacing on re-used stone from Abbey is now the font. Pugin's first church design. The Norman style probably dictated by proximity of Abbey remains.

Listing NGR: SU7199273629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38939

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing